What is acne?
Acne is a skin condition that occurs when the oil-secreting glands in the skin are clogged and become inflamed or infected.
Classification of Acne
Acne is a common skin condition of the face, chest, and/or back that may include whiteheads, blackheads, red pimples, pustules and possibly small lumps (cysts).
Skin pores or hair follicles contain oil glands that keep your hair and skin moisturized. Acne is caused by excess oil or clogged oil ducts. Hormone changes, lotions/make-up, bacteria on the skin, stress, some medications and heredity all contribute to acne.
- Keep your face and hair clean
- Picking or squeezing pimples can worsen the condition
- Try over-the-counter acne medicine with benzoyl peroxide
- Use oil-free lotions and make-up
- If your acne is not controlled with the above or causes scars or cysts, see a healthcare provider for prescription medication